NORTH: Non-intrusive Observation and RunTime verification of cyber-pHysical systems
- Research Line(s): Timeliness and Adaptation in Dependable Systems (TADS)
- Sponsor: FCT / Campus France
- Project Number: Bilateral cooperation - 3732 (PT) / 37932TF (FR)
- Coordinator: José Rufino (PT) / Frank Singhoff (FR)
- Partners: UBO - Université de Bretagne Occidentale, Lab-STICC UMR CNRS 6285, Brest (FR)
- Start Date: Jan. 2017
- Duration: 24 months
- Keywords: Formal Methods; Modelling and Temporal Logics; Non-Intrusive Observation; Runtime Verification; Cyber-Physical Systems.
- Team at FCUL: 4 researchers, including José Rufino, Antónia Lopes, António Casimiro, Inês Gouveia
- Team at UBO: 8 researchers, including Frank Singhoff, Laurent Lemarchant, Stéphane Rubini, Alain Plantec, Jalil Boukhobza, Mourad Dridi, Valérie-Anne Nicolas, Lyes Allache.
- Funded by:
The increase use of autonomous vehicles and other cyber-physical systems has been motivating the adoption of Runtime Verification (RV) techniques for embedded system platforms. This stems from the criticality of such systems, which call for the assurance of correct operation, both on value and time domains. However, traditional RV techniques (mostly based on code instrumentation) may inevitably pose significant overheads – both in performance and timeliness – due to their inherent intrusiveness, which make them clearly unfit for critical systems.
This project aims at advancing the state of the art in RV techniques by researching innovative (self-)adaptive observation and runtime verification methods, supported in non-intrusive monitoring machinery. The negative effects of traditional techniques (ranging from function call interception to source code annotation with observation points) are avoided, thus making this novel approach relevant to virtually all (critical) cyber-physical systems.
- Kickoff Meeting, FCUL - FCiências.ID (LASIGE), Lisboa (PT), May 24-25, 2017. Agenda, SVN Repository (private).
- NORTH@Brest Meeting, Lab-STICC - UBO, Brest (FR), Nov. 30 - Dec. 1, 2017. Agenda, SVN Repository (private).
- NORTH@Brest Stay, Lab-STICC - UBO, Brest (FR), Mar. 5 - Apr. 6, 2018 (José Rufino).
- RUME 2018 Workshop, co-located with the 23rd International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, Ada-Europe 2018, Lisboa, Portugal, June, 2018.
- João de Sousa Alves, “CAN FD: a communication network for future avionic systems”, Master’s thesis, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal, Jun. 2019.
- José Rufino, “Non-intrusive Observation and Runtime Verification of Avionic Systems”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 300–304, Dec. 2018.
- José Rufino, “Hardware Support for Non-intrusive Runtime Verification on Processor Technologies”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 287–290, Dec. 2018.
- José Rufino, Felix Dino Lange, Martin Leucker, Torben Scheffel, Malte Schmitz, Daniel Thoma, António Casimiro, “Non-intrusive Runtime Verification within a System-on-Chip”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 296–299, Dec. 2018.
- José Rufino, António Casimiro, Antónia Lopes, Frank Singhoff, Stéphane Rubini, Valérie-Anne Nicolas, Mounir Lallali, Mourad Dridi, Jalil Boukhobza, Lyes Allache, “NORTH - Non-intrusive Observation and RunTime verification of cyber-pHysical systems”, Ada User Journal, pp. 278–281, Jun. 2018.
- Stéphane Rubini, Valérie-Anne Nicolas, Frank Singhoff, José Rufino, “A Real-Time System Monitoring driven by Scheduling Analysis”, Ada User Journal, pp. 282–286, Jun. 2018.
- João de Sousa Alves, José Rufino, “Comparing the inaccessibility characteristics of CAN and CAN FD protocols”, in Proceedings of the 9th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2017), Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
- João de Sousa Alves, José Rufino, “On the (non-intrusive) observability of the CAN FD protocol”, in Proceedings of the 9th Simpósio de Informática (INForum 2017), Aveiro, Portugal, Oct. 2017.
- Inês Gouveia, “Non-intrusive Observation and Runtime Verification of Cyber-physical Systems”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2017.
- António Casimiro, Inês Gouveia, José Rufino, “Enforcing Timeliness and Safety in Mission-Critical Systems”, in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, Ada-Europe 2017, Vienna, Austria, Jun. 2017.
- Inês Gouveia, José Rufino, “Enforcing safety and security through non-intrusive runtime verification”, in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Security and Dependability of Critical Embedded Real-Time Systems (CERTS), Porto, Portugal, Dec. 2016, pp. 19–24. (co-located with the IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium 2016 (RTSS 2016))
- Inês Gouveia, José Rufino, “Non-intrusive runtime verification of embedded software”, in Proc. INForum 2016, 8º Simpósio de Informática - Poster Sessions, Lisboa, Portugal, Sept. 2016, pp. 1–2.
BibTeXNavigators - NORTH project
|Current projects:||VEDLIoT, SATO, ADMORPH, DiSIEM, SEAL, AQUAMON, UPVN, REDBOOK, IRCoC, SEL, Xivt, Abyss|
|Past projects:||TCLOUDS, MASSIF, MAFTIA, RESIST NoE, KARYON, HIDENETS, CORTEX, CRUTIAL, TRONE, SITAN, ReD, DIVERSE, CloudFIT, READAPT, REGENESYS, RC-Clouds, TACID, DARIO, RITAS, AJECT, MICRA, DEAR-COTS, COPE, DEFEATS, MOOSCO, TOPCOM, RE:DY, NORTH, SUPERCLOUD, COST Action IC1402, SEGRID, BioBankCloud, SAPIENT, PROPHECY, SecFuNet, FTH-Grid, AIR-II, AIR, ESFORS, CaberNet, GODC, BROADCAST, CoDiCom, Delta-4, RAPTOR|