We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Sep/2015) A research project was accepted by FCT. The project is called: IRCoC - Intelligent Resilience for Cloud-of-Clouds Services
- (1/Set/2015) A collaboration project with colleagues from Brasil was accepted by CAPES-FCT. The project is called: Resilient Supervision and Control in Smart Grids
- (1/Feb/2015) A new European project has started, called SUPERCLOUD - User-Centric Management of Security and Dependability in Cloud of Clouds
- (1/Oct/2014) A new European project has started, called SEGRID - Security for smart Electricity GRIDs
- André Gil, “Platform architecture and data management for cloud-based buildings energy self-assessment and optimization”, Master’s thesis, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa, Jan. 2022.
- Vasco Leitão, “Prioritization of Software and System Requirements through Natural Language Processing for Testing Software”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Ciência em Dados, Nov. 2021.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “Brief Announcement: Auditable Register Emulations”, in 35th International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC 2021), Oct. 2021.
- Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Alysson Bessani, “CHARON: A Secure Cloud-of-Clouds System for Storing and Sharing Big Data”, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1349–1361, Oct. 2021.
- Christian Berger, Hans P. Reiser, Alysson Bessani, “Making Reads in BFT State Machine Replication Fast, Linearizable, and Live”, in Proceedings of the 40th International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS'21), Sept. 2021. Prof. C.V. Ramamoorthy Best Paper Award
- Miguel Moreira, “Imposição de Segurança em Aplicações Web a partir de Linguagem Intermédia”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Jul. 2021.
- João Caseirito, Ibéria Medeiros, “Finding Web Application Vulnerabilities with an Ensemble Fuzzing (fast abstract)”, in In Proceedings of the 51st IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN'21), Jun. 2021.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, João Paulo, Alysson Bessani, “GenoDedup: Similarity-Based Deduplication and Delta-Encoding for Genome Sequencing Data”, IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 669–681, May 2021.
- Gustavo Gonzalez-Granadillo, Mario Faiella, Ibéria Medeiros, Rui Azevedo, Susana Gonzalez-Zarzosa, “ETIP: An Enriched Threat Intelligence Platform for Improving OSINT Correlation, Analysis, Visualisation and Sharing Capabilities”, Journal of Information Security and Applications, Elsevier, vol. 58, May 2021.
- João Caseirito, Ibéria Medeiros, “Improving Web Application Vulnerability Detection Leveraging Ensemble Fuzzing”, in In Proceedings of the International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE), Apr. 2021.
|Nuno Neves||presents||Making WAP Really Discover 0-day Vulnerabilities with Less Errors|
|Pedro Maia||presents||Resilient Communications in Smart Grids|
- Title: Vulnerability discovery in powerline communication
- Speaker: Fernando Alves
- Title: Distribution, fault tolerance & consistency in SDN control: Pick three
- Speaker: Andre Mantas
 What: NavTalk, When: Friday, 2015-Dec-04, 12h00-14h00, Where: room C6.3.38
Title: Mechanisms to Enforce Dependability and Timeliness in Wireless Communications
Speaker: José Rufino
Title: Janus: A User-defined Cloud-backed Storage
Speaker: Ricardo Mendes
 What: NavTalk, When: Friday, 2015-Nov-20, 12h00-14h00, Where: room C6.3.38
Title: Cassowary: Middleware Platform for Context-Aware Smart Buildings with Software-Defined Sensor Networks
Speaker:Pradeeban Kathiravelu (IST-UL)
Title: Dependable monitoring in aquatic wireless sensor networks
Speaker: Gonçalo Jesus
 What: NavTalk, When: Friday, 2015-Nov-13, 14h00-15h00, Where: room C6.3.38
Title: Self-Stabilizing Virtual Machine Hypervisor Architecture for Resilient Cloud
Speaker:Alexander Binun (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev)
 What: NavTalk, When: Friday, 2015-Nov-06, 12h15-14h00, Where: room C6.3.38
Title: Genomes in the cloud: Dependable please, but affordable!
Speaker: Vinicius Cogo
Title: An SDN-based approach to manage and improve BGP security
Speaker: Rigivaldo Costa
Friday, 2015-Oct-23, 12h15-14h00, room C6.3.38
Title: Mesobi: Memória em Software Transacional Tolerante a Faltas Bizantinas
Speaker: Tulio Ribeiro
Title: SuperCloud: The first demo is the hardest
Speaker: Max Alaluna
Friday, 2015-Oct-09, 12h15-14h00, room C6.3.38
Title: Intrusion tolerance, make it last!
Speaker: Miguel Garcia
Title: Dependable MapReduce in a Cloud of Clouds
Speaker: Pedro Costa
Friday, 2015-Sep-25, 12h15-14h00, room C6.3.38
Title: Separating the WHEAT from the Chaff: An Empirical Design for Geo-Replicated State Machines
Speaker: João Sousa
Title: Securing Passive Replication Through Verification
Speaker: Bruno Vavala
Title: A High-Throughput Method to Detect Privacy-Sensitive Human Genomic Data
Speaker: Vinicius Cogo
Friday, 2015-June-25, 11h30-12h00 , room C6.3.38
Title: Trusted Distributed Processing Over a Large State
Speaker: Bruno Vavala
Speaker: Radu Onica
Friday, 2015-June-05, 12h15-14h00, room C6.3.38
Title: SDN-based Network Monitoring Under Attack
Speaker: Ricardo Fonseca
Title: Fault Tolerant Precision Time Protocol for Smart Grids