uPVN: User-centric Programmable Virtual Networks
- Research Line(s): Fault and Intrusion Tolerance in Open Distributed Systems (FIT)
- Sponsor: FCT
- Total award amount: 225K Euros
- Coordinator: Fernando Ramos (since 2020 associate professor at IST)
- Start Date: Oct. 2018
- Duration: 36 months
- Keywords: virtual networks, programmable networks
- Team at FCUL: Researchers including Prof. Fernando Ramos, Prof. Nuno Ferreira Neves, Dr. Salvatore Signorello (Post-doc), João Amado (PhD student), Diogo Gonçalves (MSc. student), Duarte Sequeira (MSc. student).
Recent network virtualization platforms offer a full decoupling of the virtual networks and the physical infrastructure. Unfortunately, their provider-centric design has limitations in terms of scalability, security, and dependability, and is restrictive in the services offered. To address these limitations, we propose a platform that creates user-centric virtual networks, over a substrate that entails both public clouds and private datacenters. Following the recent trend on data plane programmability, our user-centric virtual networks are fully programmable: users can customize the packet processing of all network elements with a high level language. To achieve these objectives we innovate in various areas, from network compilation to algorithms for embedding and orchestration. By empowering users and companies with provider-independence and unprecedented customizability of their virtual networks, we expect our solution to foster innovation and motivate new business opportunities.
For all the latest news about the project and the updated list of publications, please check the project's main website!
- João Amado, “Sketch-Based Attack Detection on Programmable Networks”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática e de Computadores, Instituto Superior Técnico, Nov. 2018.
- Rui Marques, Salvatore Signorello, Fernando Ramos, “Named Data Networking with Programmable Switches”, in 1st P4 European Workhop, Sept. 2018.
BibTeXNavigators - uPVN project
|Current projects:||VEDLIoT, SATO, ADMORPH, SEAL, AQUAMON, UPVN, REDBOOK, ThreatAdapt, SEL, Xivt|
|Past projects:||TCLOUDS, MASSIF, MAFTIA, RESIST NoE, DiSIEM, KARYON, HIDENETS, CORTEX, CRUTIAL, TRONE, SITAN, ReD, IRCoC, DIVERSE, CloudFIT, READAPT, REGENESYS, RC-Clouds, TACID, DARIO, RITAS, AJECT, MICRA, DEAR-COTS, COPE, DEFEATS, MOOSCO, TOPCOM, RE:DY, NORTH, Abyss, SUPERCLOUD, COST Action IC1402, SEGRID, BioBankCloud, PROPHECY, SAPIENT, SecFuNet, FTH-Grid, AIR-II, AIR, ESFORS, CaberNet, GODC, BROADCAST, CoDiCom, Delta-4, RAPTOR|