TCLOUDS: Trustworthy Clouds: Privacy and Resilience for Internet-scale Critical Infrastructure
- Research Line(s): Fault and Intrusion Tolerance in Open Distributed Systems (FIT)
- Sponsor: EU (FP7-ICT Integrated project)
- Project Number: 257243
- Total award amount: 7.5M Euros
- Coordinator: Technikon Forschungs- und Planungsgesellschaft
- Partners: Technikon, IBM Research GmbH, Philips Electronics Nederland B.V., Sirrix AG, FCUL, ULD, University of Oxford, Politecnico di Torino, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Fondazione Centro San Raffaele Del Monte Tabor, EDP, UNU MERIT (University of Maastricht), EFACEC, TU Darmstadt
- Start Date: Oct. 2010
- Duration: 36 months
- Team at FCUL: Researchers including Alysson Bessani
Trustworthy Clouds (TClouds) aims to build a prototype Internetscale ICT infrastructure which allows virtualized computing, network, and storage resources over the Internet to provide scalability and cost-efficiency. The following objectives contribute to achieving the overall goal:
- Identifying and addressing the legal and business implications and opportunities of a widespread use of infrastructure clouds, contributing to building a regulatory framework for enabling resilient and privacy-enhanced cross-border infrastructure clouds.
- Defining an architecture and prototype for securing infrastructure clouds by providing security enhancements that can be deployed on top of commodity infrastructure clouds (as a cloudof-clouds) and assessing the resilience and privacy benefits of security extensions of existing clouds.
- Providing resilient middleware for adaptive security on the cloud-of-clouds. The TClouds platform will provide tolerance and adaptability to mitigate security incidents and unstable operating conditions for a range of applications running on such clouds-of-clouds.
To demonstrate TClouds, scientists will prototype two scenarios involving critical IT- systems:
- A smart energy grid with Portugal’s leading energy and solution providers Energias de Portugal and EFACEC: TClouds will show how such energy-preserving systems can be migrated to a cloud infrastructure while increasing their resilience, privacy protection and tolerance against both hackers and hardware failures.
- A patient-centric home healthcare service with San Raffaele Hospital in Milano, Italy, will remotely monitor, diagnose and assist patients outside a hospital setting. TClouds will demonstrate how the quality of in-home healthcare can be improved cost-efficiently without reducing privacy.
- Alysson Bessani, Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Marcelo Pasin, Paulo Verissimo, “SCFS: A Shared Cloud-backed File System”, in Proceedings of the 2014 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX-ATC), Philadelphia, PA, US, Jun. 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, João Sousa, Eduardo Alchieri, “State Machine Replication for the Masses with BFT-SMART”, in Proceedings of the 44th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), Atlanta, USA, Jun. 2014.
- Alysson Bessani, João Sousa, Eduardo Alchieri, “State Machine Replication for the Masses with BFT-SMART”, University of Lisbon, DI-FCUL, Tech. Rep. TR-2013-07, Nov. 2013. http://hdl.handle.net/10451/14170
- João Sousa, Alysson Bessani, “Evaluating State Machine Replication Over a WAN”, in Workshop on Planetary-Scale Distributed Systems (W-PSDS 2013), Braga, Portugal, Sept. 2013.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, André Nogueira, João Sousa, Marcelo Pasin, Hans P. Reiser, Alysson Bessani, “FITCH: Supporting Adaptive Replicated Services in the Cloud”, in Proceedings of the 13th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (DAIS'13), Jim Dowling, Francois Taïani, Eds., Florence, Italy, Jun. 2013, pp. 15–28.
- Alysson Bessani, Marcel Santos, João Félix, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “On the Efficiency of Durable State Machine Replication”, in Proceedings of the 2013 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Jun. 2013, pp. 169–180.
- Miguel Correia, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Paulo Verissimo, “BFT-TO: Intrusion Tolerance with”, The Computer Journal, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 693–715, Jun. 2013.
- Pedro Costa, Marcelo Pasin, Alysson Bessani, Miguel Correia, “On the Performance of Byzantine Fault-Tolerant MapReduce”, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2013.
- Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Marcelo Pasin, Alysson Bessani, “C2FS: um Sistema de Ficheiros Seguro e Fiável para Cloud-of-Clouds”, in INFORUM 2012 - Simpósio de Informática, Almada, Portugal, Sept. 2012.
- Paulo Verissimo, Alysson Bessani, Marcelo Pasin, “The TClouds Architecture:Open and Resilient Cloud-of-clouds Computing”, in Dependable Systems and Networks Workshops (DSN-W), 2012 IEEE/IFIP 42nd International Conference on, Jun. 2012.
- João Sousa, Alysson Bessani, “From Byzantine Consensus to BFT State Machine Replication: A Latency-Optimal Transformation”, in Ninth European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC 2012), Sibiu, Romenia, May 2012, pp. 12.
- Alysson Bessani, “(BFT) State Machine Replication: The Hype, The Virtue... and even some Practice”, Apr. 2012.
- Alysson Bessani, João Sousa, Eduardo Alchieri, “... And StateMachine Replication for All with BFT-SMaRt”, Apr. 2012.
- Bernhard kauer, Paulo Verissimo, Alysson Bessani, “Recursive Virtual Machines for Advanced Security Mechanisms”, in Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Dependability of Clouds, Data Centers and Virtual Computing Environments (DCDV'11). DSN'11 supplemental volume., Jun. 2011.
- Alysson Bessani, Miguel Correia, Bruno Quaresma, Fernando André, Paulo Sousa, “DepSky: Dependable and Secure Storage in a Cloud-of-Clouds”, in Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGOPS/EuroSys European Systems Conference - EuroSys'11. Salzburg, Austria. April 2011., Apr. 2011.
- Pedro Costa, Marcelo Pasin, Alysson Bessani, Miguel Correia, “Byzantine Fault-Tolerant MapReduce: Faults are Not Just Crashes”, in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Science - CloudCom’11, Athens, Greece, 2011.
- Giuliana Santos Veronese, Miguel Correia, Alysson Bessani, Lau Cheuk Lung, “EBAWA: Efficient Byzantine Agreement for Wide-Area Networks”, in Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International High Assurance Systems Engineering Symposium - HASE'10. San Jose, CA, USA. November 2010., Oct. 2010.
BibTeXNavigators - TCLOUDS project
|Current projects:||VEDLIoT, SATO, ADMORPH, SEAL, AQUAMON, UPVN, REDBOOK, ThreatAdapt, SEL, Xivt|
|Past projects:||TCLOUDS, MASSIF, MAFTIA, RESIST NoE, DiSIEM, KARYON, HIDENETS, CORTEX, CRUTIAL, TRONE, SITAN, ReD, IRCoC, DIVERSE, CloudFIT, READAPT, REGENESYS, RC-Clouds, TACID, DARIO, RITAS, AJECT, MICRA, DEAR-COTS, COPE, DEFEATS, MOOSCO, TOPCOM, RE:DY, NORTH, Abyss, SUPERCLOUD, COST Action IC1402, SEGRID, BioBankCloud, SAPIENT, PROPHECY, SecFuNet, FTH-Grid, AIR-II, AIR, ESFORS, CaberNet, GODC, BROADCAST, CoDiCom, Delta-4, RAPTOR|