HIDENETS: HIghly DEpendable ip-based NETworks and Services
- Research Line(s): Timeliness and Adaptation in Dependable Systems (TADS)
- Sponsor: European Commission - IST Programme
- Project Number: IST-FP6-STREP-26979
- Total award amount: 2.5M Euros
- Coordinator: AAU
- Partners: AAU, BME, Carmeq, Fujitsu-Siemens, LAAS, Telenor, FCUL, WMC, UNIFI
- Start Date: Jan. 2006
- Duration: 36 months
- Team at FCUL: 6 researchers, including António Casimiro, Paulo Veríssimo, Mário Calha, Luís Marques, Mônica Dixit
The aim of HIDENETS is to develop and analyze end-to-end resilience solutions for distributed applications and mobility-aware services in ubiquitous communication scenarios. Technical solutions will be developed for applications with critical dependability requirements in the context of selected use-cases of ad-hoc car-to-car communication with infrastructure service support.
Dependability and trustworthiness are critical system and service qualities. The well defined objective of HIDENETS is to address the provisioning of available and resilient distributed applications and mobile services with critical requirements on highly dynamic and possibly unreliable open communication infrastructures.
The planned HIDENETS results will clearly show that solutions for new distributed applications with critical requirements on open communication infrastructures can be designed, implemented, and evaluated. Through active participation in relevant standards groups (Service Availability Forum) HIDENETS will advance the industrial practice of implementing highly available, resilient services. An integrated, holistic approach will advance the state of the art in evaluation and testing of high-availability and resilience features of systems and services. The S&T approach taken in HIDENETS will assure that the project will achieve its objectives in research, innovation and industrial transfer
Approach and Methods
- Provide architectural and design solutions concerning both network/protocol elements and technology components and their ensemble as middleware, required for the deployment of highly available and resilient mobility-aware services.
- Identify development tools and mechanisms like design patterns and testing methodologies to assist the implementation of said service qualities.
- Develop methodologies for the quantitative evaluation and analysis of the achieved QoS of applications and services.
- Provide an implementation of the relevant parts of the design solutions to constitute a proof of concept prototype in the automotive application domain covering both ad-hoc car-to-car and server based (infrastructure) scenarios.
- Perform an assessment of the dependability and QoS provided by the solutions developed in HIDENETS through the evaluation of the selected scenarios both at model resolution level and at the experimentation on the experimental laboratory set up.
- Mônica Dixit, António Casimiro, Paulo Verissimo, Paolo Lollini, Andrea Bondavalli, “Adaptare: Supporting automatic and dependable adaptation in dynamic environments”, ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 18:1–18:25, Jul. 2012. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2240166.2240168
- Henrique Moniz, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Paulo Verissimo, “RITAS: Services for Randomized Intrusion Tolerance”, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 8, n. 1, pp. 122-136, Jan.-Feb. 2011., Jan. 2011.
- Mônica Dixit, António Casimiro, Paulo Verissimo, Paolo Lollini, Andrea Bondavalli, “A Probabilistic Framework for Automatic and Dependable Adaptation in Dynamic Environments”, Department of Informatics, University of Lisboa, Tech. Rep. TR-09-19, Dec. 2009. http://hdl.handle.net/10455/3273
- António Casimiro, José Rufino, Luís Marques, Mário Calha, Paulo Verissimo, “Applying architectural hybridization in networked embedded systems”, in Proceedings of the 7th IFIP WG 10.2 International Workshop (SEUS 2009), Software Technologies for Embedded and Ubiquitous Systems, LNCS 5860, Sunggu Lee and Priya Narasimhan (Eds), Newport Beach, CA, USA, November 2009, Nov. 2009.
- Luís Marques, António Casimiro, “Design and Development of a COTS-based Real-time Executive for Safety-critical Vehicular Applications”, in Proceedings of Simpósio de Informática (Inforum 2009), WIP Session, Lisboa, Portugal, September 2009, Sept. 2009.
- Luís Marques, António Casimiro, Mário Calha, “Design and development of a proof-of-concept platooning application using the HIDENETS architecture”, in Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE/IFIP Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, Estoril, Lisboa, Portugal, June 2009, Jul. 2009.
- António Casimiro, Paolo Lollini, Mônica Dixit, Andrea Bondavalli, Paulo Verissimo, “A framework for dependable QoS adaptation in probabilistic environments”, in Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Dependable and Adaptive Distributed Systems Track, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil, March 2008., Mar. 2008.
- Henrique Moniz, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, António Casimiro, Paulo Verissimo, “Intrusion Tolerance in Wireless Environments: An Experimental Evaluation”, in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC 07), Dec. 2007.
- Hans P. Reiser, António Casimiro, “Optimizing Byzantine Consensus for Fault-Tolerant Embedded Systems with Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure Networks”, in 4th International Workshop on Dependable Embedded Systems (WDES-07), in conjunction with the 26th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, Beijing, China, October 2007, Oct. 2007.
- Hugo Ortiz, António Casimiro, “Architecture and Implementation of an Embedded Wormhole”, in Proceedings of the 2007 Symposium on Industrial Embedded Systems, Lisbon, Portugal, July 2007, Jul. 2007.
- António Casimiro, Jörg Kaiser, Paulo Verissimo, “Generic-Events Architecture: Integrating real-world aspects in event-based systems”, in Architecting Dependable Systems IV, Rogério de Lemos, Cristina Gacek, Alexander Romanovsky, Eds., ser. LNCS. Springer, Jun. 2007, vol. 4615.
- António Casimiro, Odorico Mendizabal, Paulo Verissimo, “On the development of dependable embedded applications using specialized wormholes”, in 3rd International Workshop on Dependable Embedded Systems (WDES-06), in conjunction with the 25th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, Leeds, UK, October 2006, Oct. 2006.
BibTeXNavigators - HIDENETS project
|Current projects:||VEDLIoT, SATO, ADMORPH, DiSIEM, SEAL, AQUAMON, UPVN, REDBOOK, IRCoC, SEL, Xivt, Abyss|
|Past projects:||TCLOUDS, MASSIF, MAFTIA, RESIST NoE, KARYON, HIDENETS, CORTEX, CRUTIAL, TRONE, SITAN, ReD, DIVERSE, CloudFIT, READAPT, REGENESYS, RC-Clouds, TACID, DARIO, RITAS, AJECT, MICRA, DEAR-COTS, COPE, DEFEATS, MOOSCO, TOPCOM, RE:DY, NORTH, SUPERCLOUD, COST Action IC1402, SEGRID, BioBankCloud, PROPHECY, SAPIENT, SecFuNet, FTH-Grid, AIR-II, AIR, ESFORS, CaberNet, GODC, BROADCAST, CoDiCom, Delta-4, RAPTOR|