Scholarships for PhD in Computer Science and Engineering - Lisbon, Portugal
The Navigators group at LaSIGE offers scholarships for the University of Lisbon PhD program in Computer Science and Engineering (a.k.a. PhD in Informatics), open to students of all nationalities:
PhD from University of Lisbon: full time in Lisbon.
DEADLINE: The application process to the PhD Program is open all year round; analysis of applications is made at periodic cut-off intervals, and selected students are advised about the next steps.
NEXT CUT-OFF DATE: 30/April/2013
See application instructions at the bottom
An extremely lively research and teaching environment in top, state-of-the-art, areas. Full financial support, through a number of scholarships to cover tuition and expenses of students, regardless of nationality.
Knowing more about the research opportunities
Research areas, aligned with international projects:
- DEPENDABLE AND SECURE DISTRIBUTED SYSTEM AND NETWORK ARCHITECTURES
- KEYWORDS: resilient cloud computing operation; critical infrastructures such as electrical utility SCADA/DCS; middleware and protocol support for distributed execution; intrusion tolerance; computing with trustworthy components; security information and event management (SIEM); resilience of software defined network architectures
- EXPERIMENTAL VALIDATION OF ATTACK TOLERANCE IN DISTR. SYS.
- KEYWORDS: commerce and critical infrastructures; attack injection tools; security evaluation of distributed systems and software components
- DEPENDABLY ADAPTIVE AND REAL-TIME DISTR. SYSTEM AND NETWORK ARCHITECTURES
- KEYWORDS: cooperative automotive and avionic applications (platooning, free-flight); systems of embedded systems; middleware and protocols; autonomy and cooperation; uncertainty vs. predictability; safety, QoS adaptation; green (resource and energy efficient) networks; adaptation in software defined network architectures
- RESILIENCE OF NETWORKED OPERATIONS AND MONITORING SYSTEMS
- KEYWORDS: operations, administration and management (OA&M); dependable sensor networks; complex event processing middleware and protocols; secure and dependable environment and datacenter monitoring; resilient big data computing platforms
These areas are aligned with several ongoing international projects:
- TCLOUDS - Trustworthy Clouds – Privacy and Resilience for Internet-scale Critical Infrastructure (EC-IST FP7)
- MASSIF - MAnagement of Security information and events in Service (EC-IST FP7)
- TRONE - Trustworthy and Resilient Operations in a Network Environment (FCT CMU|Portugal program)
- KARYON - Kernel based ARchitecture for safetY critical cONtrol (EC-IST FP7)
- SecFuNet- SECurity for FUture NETworks (EC-IST FP7)
- BioBankCloud - Scalable, Secure Storage and Analysis of Biobank Data (EC-ICT FP7)
Application documents and conditions
- Holders of MSc degrees or equivalent.
- Graduates with a licenciatura with a minimal average grade 16/20.
- Holders of foreign academic qualification declared equivalent.
- Holders of an academic and professional scientific curriculum that reflects a capacity to the PhD qualification.
- Candidates from other areas granted a request for Equivalence.
- Publications, awards and other relevant aspects included in the Curriculum Vitae will be considered in the selection.
- Affinity of research interests and experience in the proposed areas will also be considered. Students should state their choice(s) in the statement of purpose.
- Pre-selected students will be invited to complete their application to the program.
Applicants should prepare the following elements:
TO BE SENT/SUBMITTED BY APPLICANTS:
- Curriculum vitae -- including name, address, degrees, work/research experience, publications, achievements, etc.
- Scanned transcripts of grades and degrees claimed -- official documents will be required if pre-selected.
- General admission tests -- GRE and TOEFL (check alternatives to TOEFL here) are a very important factor for selection. If scores are not available by the application deadline, please mention it in the statement of purpose and/or give a prediction for date of delivery.
- A statement of purpose (up to one page) with -- the personal motivations for applying to the Univ. of Lisbon; indication of the preferred research areas from the list in the call, in order of preference; and an optional request for financial support AND/OR indication of any alternative or supplemental support.
The elements are to be submitted through the following site: http://www.navigators.di.fc.ul.pt/candidates
TO BE SENT BY REFEREES:
- Three letters of reference, sent by the referees directly to us, in plain ascii or pdf or paper, as follows:
Subject: PHD SCHOLARSHIPS Body: To Whom it may concern Letter of Reference on behalf of Mr./Dr. so-and-so ...text... Contacts and position of person recommending.
The letters can be sent either by
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address:
LaSIGE, Navigators Dpt. de Informática Faculdade de Ciências, Univ. de Lisboa, Campo Grande, Bloco C6 1700 - Lisboa, Portugal
- Fax: +351 21 750 05 33
Email informal enquiries / expressions of interest to the same address: email@example.com
Lisbon is one of the least expensive capitals in Europe, and is renowned by its hospitality, outstanding climate, beautiful beaches nearby, and great food, wine and night life. If you fulfil your objectives, we don't care where you spend the evenings :-). For information regarding life-style and cost of living in Lisboa, see the LaSIGE page about Lisbon.