We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (Feb/2022) Pedro Ferreira, José Cecílio, Manuel Fonseca, and Vinícius Cogo invite to follow Smart2B project at the freshly launch social media Link.
- (Feb/2022) Robin Vassantlal and Nuno Burnay achieved at the Google Hash Code 2022 4th place at the national level.
- (Jan/2022) Ibéria Medeiros and Nuno Neves publish in IEEE Transactions on Reliability, a high-impact journal.
- (Jan/2022) Alysson Bessani, Tiago Guerreiro, and Cátia Pesquita are the new Executive Committee 2022/23.
- (Nov/2021) The 1st release of the promotional video of EU H2020 ADMORPH’s project was delivered video.
- (Oct/2021) Ana Respício was one of the recipients of the IFIP Service Award.
- (Sep/2021) The EU H2020 Smart building management in the clouds (SMART2B) project started.
- (Sep/2021) Alysson Bessani won the best paper award at SRDS 2021.
- (Jun/2021) Alysson Bessani and Nuno Neves's paper, co-authored by alumnus Miguel Garcia Henriques et al., won the DSN-2021 Test-of-Time Award.
- (Dec/2020) The Very Efficient Deep Learning in IoT (VEDLIoT) project started.
- André Gil, “Platform architecture and data management for cloud-based buildings energy self-assessment and optimization”, Master’s thesis, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa, Jan. 2022.
- Vasco Leitão, “Prioritization of Software and System Requirements through Natural Language Processing for Testing Software”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Ciência em Dados, Nov. 2021.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “Brief Announcement: Auditable Register Emulations”, in 35th International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC 2021), Oct. 2021.
- Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Alysson Bessani, “CHARON: A Secure Cloud-of-Clouds System for Storing and Sharing Big Data”, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1349–1361, Oct. 2021.
- Christian Berger, Hans P. Reiser, Alysson Bessani, “Making Reads in BFT State Machine Replication Fast, Linearizable, and Live”, in Proceedings of the 40th International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS'21), Sept. 2021. Prof. C.V. Ramamoorthy Best Paper Award
- Miguel Moreira, “Imposição de Segurança em Aplicações Web a partir de Linguagem Intermédia”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Jul. 2021.
- João Caseirito, Ibéria Medeiros, “Finding Web Application Vulnerabilities with an Ensemble Fuzzing (fast abstract)”, in In Proceedings of the 51st IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN'21), Jun. 2021.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, João Paulo, Alysson Bessani, “GenoDedup: Similarity-Based Deduplication and Delta-Encoding for Genome Sequencing Data”, IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 669–681, May 2021.
- Gustavo Gonzalez-Granadillo, Mario Faiella, Ibéria Medeiros, Rui Azevedo, Susana Gonzalez-Zarzosa, “ETIP: An Enriched Threat Intelligence Platform for Improving OSINT Correlation, Analysis, Visualisation and Sharing Capabilities”, Journal of Information Security and Applications, Elsevier, vol. 58, May 2021.
- João Caseirito, Ibéria Medeiros, “Improving Web Application Vulnerability Detection Leveraging Ensemble Fuzzing”, in In Proceedings of the International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE), Apr. 2021.