We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (Nov/2019) The Doctoral Fellowships “la Caixa” INPhINIT have opened with three themes for PhD proposals from the Navigators professors!
- (Oct/2019) The final demonstration and review of the DISIEM EU project, which we have lead for the past three years, went extremely well with praise for the outstanding results that were achieved!
- (Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud EU project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- Francisco Araujo, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Generating Tests for the Discovery of Security Flaws in Product Variants”, in In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Testing Extra-Functional Properties and Quality Characteristics of Software Systems (ITEQS), Oct. 2020.
- Ana Fidalgo, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Towards a Deep Learning Model for Vulnerability Detection on Web Application Variants”, in In Proceedings of the Workshop on Testing of Configurable and Multi-variant Systems (ToCaMS), Oct. 2020.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Effect of Coding Styles in Detection of Web Application Vulnerabilities”, in In Proceedings of the European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC), Sept. 2020.
- Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Vilmar Abreu, “A Reliable Semi-Supervised Intrusion Detection Model: One Year of Network Traffic Anomalies”, in Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Jun. 2020.
- Paolo Ferrari, Emiliano Sisinni, Paolo Bellagente, Stefano Rinaldi, Marco Pasetti, Alan Oliveira de Sá, Raphael C. S. Machado, And Luiz F. R. da C. Carmo, António Casimiro, “Model-Based Stealth Attack to Networked Control System Based on Real-Time Ethernet”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. Early Access, pp. 1–1, Jun. 2020.
- Ricardo Morgado, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Towards Web Application Security by Automated Code Correction”, in In Proceedings of the International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering (ENASE), May 2020.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, João Paulo, Alysson Bessani, “GenoDedup: Similarity-Based Deduplication and Delta-Encoding for Genome Sequencing Data”, IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. Early Access, pp. 1–12, May 2020.
- Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Vilmar Abreu, “Facing the Unknown: a Stream Learning Intrusion Detection System for Reliable Model Updates”, in Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Apr. 2020.
- BrunoLourenco, “Vulnerabilities Detection at Runtime and Continuous Auditing”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Apr. 2020.
- Roger Robson dos Santos, Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, “A Long-lasting Reinforcement Learning Intrusion Detection Model”, in Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Apr. 2020.