We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (Nov/2019) The Doctoral Fellowships “la Caixa” INPhINIT have opened with three themes for PhD proposals from the Navigators professors!
- (Oct/2019) The final demonstration and review of the DISIEM EU project, which we have lead for the past three years, went extremely well with praise for the outstanding results that were achieved!
- (Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud EU project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Vilmar Abreu, “A Reliable Semi-Supervised Intrusion Detection Model: One Year of Network Traffic Anomalies”, in Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Jun. 2020.
- Roger Robson dos Santos, Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, “A Long-lasting Reinforcement Learning Intrusion Detection Model”, in Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Apr. 2020.
- Vilmar Abreu, Altair Santin, Eduardo Viegas, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, “Identity and Access Management for IoT in Smart Grid”, in Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Apr. 2020.
- Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Vilmar Abreu, “Facing the Unknown: a Stream Learning Intrusion Detection System for Reliable Model Updates”, in Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), Apr. 2020.
- Alan Oliveira de Sá, António Casimiro, Raphael C. S. Machado, And Luiz F. R. da C. Carmo, “Identification of Data Injection Attacks in Networked Control Systems Using Noise Impulse Integration”, Sensors, vol. 20, no. 792, Jan. 2020.
- Adriano Serckumecka, Ibéria Medeiros, Bernardo Ferreira, Alysson Bessani, “SLiCER: Safe Long-term Cloud Event Archival”, in In Proceedings of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC), Dec. 2019.
- Carlos Nascimento, “Evaluation of WSN Technology for Dependable Monitoring in Water Environments”, Master’s thesis, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa, Nov. 2019.
- Luís Sacramento, Ibéria Medeiros, Jão Bota, Miguel Correia, Detecting Botnets and Unknown Network Attacks in Big Traffic Data. CRC Press, Oct. 2019, ch. 7, pp. 237–268.
- Adriano Serckumecka, Ibéria Medeiros, Bernardo Ferreira, Alysson Bessani, “A Cost-Effective Cloud Event Archival for SIEMs”, in In Proceedings of the Workshop on Distributed and Reliable Storage Systems (DRSS, with SRDS 2019), Oct. 2019.
- Max Alaluna, Eric Vial, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, “Secure Multi-Cloud Network Virtualization”, Computer Networks, vol. 161, pp. 45–60, Oct. 2019.