We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Oct/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project AQUAMON -- Dependable Monitoring with Wireless Sensor Networks in Water Environments -- started today. During the next 3 years we will develop a dependable monitoring platform for application in aquatic environments using wireless sensor networks.
- (1/Oct/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project uPVN -- User-centric Programmable Virtual Networks -- started today. During the next 3 years we aim to build the next generation of virtual networks: VNets that are fully programmable.
- (20/Sept/2018) The NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of research presentations and useful discussions.
- (1/Aug/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project SEAL-- SEcurity progrAmming of web appLications -- started today. During the next 3 years we will design and build tools to make your web applications more secure!
- (11/Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- Adriano Serckumecka, Ibéria Medeiros, Bernardo Ferreira, Alysson Bessani, “SLiCER: Safe Long-term Cloud Event Archival”, in In Proceedings of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC), Dec. 2019.
- Max Alaluna, Eric Vial, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, “Secure Multi-Cloud Network Virtualization”, Computer Networks, vol. 161, pp. 45–60, Oct. 2019.
- Adriano Serckumecka, Ibéria Medeiros, Bernardo Ferreira, Alysson Bessani, “A Cost-Effective Cloud Event Archival for SIEMs”, in In Proceedings of the Workshop on Distributed and Reliable Storage Systems (DRSS, with SRDS 2019), Oct. 2019.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “Enabling the Efficient, Dependable Cloud-based Storage of Human Genomes”, in 1st Workshop on Distributed and Reliable Storage Systems (DRSS'19), Oct. 2019.
- Francisco Araujo, “Generating software tests to check for flaws and functionalities”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Engenharia Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2019.
- Ricardo Morgado, “Invalidating web applications attacks by employing the right secure code”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Sept. 2019.
- Francisco Araujo, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Geração de Testes de Software para Verificação de Faltas e Funcionalidades”, in Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM), Sept. 2019.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Miguel Beatriz, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “SEPTIC: Detecting Injection Attacks and Vulnerabilities Inside the DBMS”, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 1168 – 1188, Sept. 2019.
- Rui Azevedo, Ibéria Medeiros, Alysson Bessani, “PURE: Generating Quality Threat Intelligence by Clustering and Correlating OSINT”, in In Proceedings of IEEE TrustCom, Aug. 2019.
- Gustavo Gonzalez-Granadillo, Rodrigo Diaz, Ibéria Medeiros, Susana Gonzalez-Zarzosa, Dawid Machnicki, “LADS: A Live Anomaly Detection System based on Machine Learning Methods”, in In Proceedings of the Workshop on Security and Cryptography (with SECRYPT 2019), Jul. 2019.
What: 3rd Navigators Karting Grand Prix
When: Thu 2019-Jul-25, 2:45pm
Where: Kartódromo Internacional de Palmela
What: Navigators Summer Dinner
When: Thu 2019-Jul-25, 8pm
Where: Restaurante Barbas, Costa da Caparica