We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Oct/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project AQUAMON -- Dependable Monitoring with Wireless Sensor Networks in Water Environments -- started today. During the next 3 years we will develop a dependable monitoring platform for application in aquatic environments using wireless sensor networks.
- (1/Oct/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project uPVN -- User-centric Programmable Virtual Networks -- started today. During the next 3 years we aim to build the next generation of virtual networks: VNets that are fully programmable.
- (20/Sept/2018) The NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of research presentations and useful discussions.
- (1/Aug/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project SEAL-- SEcurity progrAmming of web appLications -- started today. During the next 3 years we will design and build tools to make your web applications more secure!
- (11/Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- João Inácio, Ibéria Medeiros, “Effectiveness on C Flaws Checking and Removal (fast abstract)”, in In Proceedings of the 52nd IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN'22), Jun. 2022.
- Nuno Durão, “Discovery of Web Attacks by Inspecting HTTPS Network Traffic with Machine Learning and Similarity Search”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, May 2022.
- Claudio Martins, Ibéria Medeiros, “Generating Quality Threat Intelligence Leveraging OSINT and a Cyber Threat Unified Taxonomy”, ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security, vol. 25-3, no. 19, May 2022.
- João Inácio, “Automatic Removal of Flaws in Embedded System Software”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, May 2022.
- João Caseirito, “Attacking Web Applications for Dynamic Discovering of Vulnerabilities”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Feb. 2022.
- André Gil, “Platform architecture and data management for cloud-based buildings energy self-assessment and optimization”, Master’s thesis, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa, Jan. 2022.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Neves, Miguel Correia, “Statically Detecting Vulnerabilities by Processing Programming Languages as Natural Language”, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Jan. 2022.
- Vasco Leitão, “Prioritization of Software and System Requirements through Natural Language Processing for Testing Software”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Ciência em Dados, Nov. 2021.
- Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Alysson Bessani, “Brief Announcement: Auditable Register Emulations”, in 35th International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC 2021), Oct. 2021.
- Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Alysson Bessani, “CHARON: A Secure Cloud-of-Clouds System for Storing and Sharing Big Data”, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1349–1361, Oct. 2021.
What: Navigators Summer Dinner and 3rd Karting Grand Prix, When: Thu 2019-Jul-25, 2:45pm, Where: Kartódromo Internacional de Palmela and Restaurante Barbas, Costa da Caparica