We are the Navigators, a research team on distributed systems, their architectures, their algorithms, in their several skins: fault tolerance, real-time, security, and combinations thereof.
We also pursue the quest for the right balance between science and technology. Some people say that Informatics (a.k.a. computer science and engineering) belongs to a new breed, of what are called techno-sciences. We believe that techno-scientists should accompany theoretical mastery with a deep knowledge of their environment — computer technology — as well as astro-physicists know the sky, or marine biologists know the sea.
We study new theories to explain distributed systems, and new algorithms to take advantage from them. But we also like to do proof-of-concept experiments about the theory we work on. We try that our papers and theses tell a good story as clearly as possible. We work hard for our demonstrations to be convincing and captivating. Because we believe science is made for others.
- (1/Oct/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project AQUAMON -- Dependable Monitoring with Wireless Sensor Networks in Water Environments -- started today. During the next 3 years we will develop a dependable monitoring platform for application in aquatic environments using wireless sensor networks.
- (1/Oct/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project uPVN -- User-centric Programmable Virtual Networks -- started today. During the next 3 years we aim to build the next generation of virtual networks: VNets that are fully programmable.
- (20/Sept/2018) The NavTalks seminars have started for a new year of research presentations and useful discussions.
- (1/Aug/2018) The (FCT-funded) research project SEAL-- SEcurity progrAmming of web appLications -- started today. During the next 3 years we will design and build tools to make your web applications more secure!
- (11/Apr/2018) Based on the final demonstration of the Supercloud project last month, here is a video about Sirius, the multi-cloud network virtualization platform.
- Max Alaluna, Eric Vial, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Fernando Ramos, “Secure Multi-Cloud Network Virtualization”, Computer Networks, vol. 161, pp. 45–60, Oct. 2019.
- Francisco Araujo, Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “Geração de Testes de Software para Verificação de Faltas e Funcionalidades”, in Simpósio de Informática (INFORUM), Sept. 2019.
- Ricardo Mendes, Tiago Oliveira, Vinicius Vielmo Cogo, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Alysson Bessani, “CHARON: A Secure Cloud-of-Clouds System for Storing and Sharing Big Data”, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, vol. Early Access, pp. 1–12, May 2019.
- Wilson Melo Jr, Alysson Bessani, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Altair Santin, Luis Carmo, “Using Blockchains to Implement Distributed Measuring Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1503–1514, May 2019.
- Eduardo Viegas, Altair Santin, Alysson Bessani, Nuno Ferreira Neves, “BigFlow: Real-time and Reliable Anomaly-based Intrusion Detection for High-Speed Networks”, Future Generation Computer Systems, vol. 93, pp. 473–485, Apr. 2019.
- Paulo Nunes, Ibéria Medeiros, José Fonseca, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, Marco Vieira, “An Empirical Study on Combining Diverse Static Analysis Tools for Web Security Vulnerabilities based on Development Scenarios”, Computing, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 161–185, Feb. 2019.
- Joao Paulino, “A Deep Dive Into Embedding Algorithms For Secure Network Virtualization”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Jan. 2019.
- Rui Azevedo, “Leveraging OSINT to Improve Threat Intelligence Quality”, Master’s thesis, Mestrado em Segurança Informática, Departamento de Informática, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Jan. 2019.
- Ibéria Medeiros, Miguel Beatriz, Nuno Ferreira Neves, Miguel Correia, “SEPTIC: Detecting Injection Attacks and Vulnerabilities Inside the DBMS”, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 2019.
- José Rufino, Felix Dino Lange, Martin Leucker, Torben Scheffel, Malte Schmitz, Daniel Thoma, António Casimiro, “Non-intrusive Runtime Verification within a System-on-Chip”, Ada User Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 296–299, Dec. 2018.
What: 3rd Navigators Karting Grand Prix
When: Thu 2019-Jul-25, 2:45pm
Where: Kartódromo Internacional de Palmela
What: Navigators Summer Dinner
When: Thu 2019-Jul-25, 8pm
Where: Restaurante Barbas, Costa da Caparica